Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Indiana, Indiana

I road 53 miles today from Madison, Indiana to New Albany, Indiana a suburb of Louisville. Unlike Madison, New Albany's down town is pretty depressed, although the community around St. Paul's Episcopal Church is nicely maintained. The ride was uneventful today.....NO LOOSE DOGS! How sweet to just ride and ride without having to stay paranoid about getting bitten.

As I rolled towards New Albany I stopped at a Huge Outdoor World Store and bought the last of my canine strategery tools: a whistle. Most of the guys in teh store suggested pepper spray or just shooting them. I allowed as how I really didn't want to hurt the dogs, just get the heck away. So we will see how the whistle works.

The dogs, however, do represent the sort of conditions under which slaved fled to freedom. My situation was mild by comparison, since I could sprint with the bike. On foot the sound of the dogs would have been more frightening.

No comments: