Friday, June 09, 2006

Getting Going in Columbus

My longbike and I have arrived in Columbus, Ohio for the Episcopal Church's General Convention. DHL did a great job shipping my bike and I can heartily endorse the Air Caddy (www.shipbikes.com) bike shipping box. Since I could break my bike in two, it fit into the Caddy with just a little tweaking.

Columbus is mostly flat. I put my bike together today and took a nice long ride around town. First I checked out the Convention Center and the Episcopalians for Global Reconciliation booth where I am helping. They work on the Millenium Development Goals that mesh with our Kenya work.

I roll my bike out of the Exhibition Hall and into the big empty hallway leading up to where the meetings will happen. Almost instantly two people stop to talk about the bike and then a thrid drifts up. Guess what? They are all long ditance touring riders. Think on this synchronicity: empty hall in Columbus and three cyclists and NO ONE ELSE. Amazing, just like our experience riding down the cost. One woman, in her mid sixties has just finished a norther tier crossing of the US with her hubby. The second guy rides a Linear and the third guy loves to ride from South Bend to Baton Rouge. I was just amazed.

Headed out and found North Market...great deli sandwhiches Dave! Then off to check out the west side of town. I took a side ride down the river path but it was covered with duck poop> I mean a LOT of duck do. Not really fun for riding or running.

Tomorrow more riding and Convention set-up

No comments: