Saturday, June 24, 2006

Hopping on the Freedom Trail

We finished our work in Columbus at the General Convention and the next morning I was ready for my trip to explore the Underground Railroad route. I headed out of Columbus along Broad Street which became route 40. It is always interesting to watch an urban area morph to a suburban and then rural. Within 8 miles of downtown I began to hit fields.

The first stop was West Jefferson, a little town slightly to the southwest of Columbus. I missed a turn and continued out 40 until I was north of London, then headed south to link back in.
London is a lovely little town and was setting up for a festival that brought cyclists and cobra cars to town. London has the start point for a 120 mile converted rail right away, but that's tomorrow's story. Spent time in the library and found some great information on the URR. They moved through many of the towns that the bike path goes through.
Spent the night at the Alexandra Bed and Breakfast, which Kathleen had found. Quaint little place, but very friendly.

No comments: