Monday, June 26, 2006

A day at the dog races.

No, I did not go to see dogs raced. I raced dogs to see whether or not I could move faster then them. In the course of the 60 miles I road today I was chased by no fewer than a dozen dogs. Big dogs, little dogs, quiet dogs, loud yapping dogs, dogs that seemed caught off guard, and dogs that were sitting waiting. In all my years of riding, I have never been chased as many times as I was today.
The ride from Maysville to Dry Ridge took me through a very depressed section of Kentucky. I ran into lots of nice people, but they seem to be struggling in towns that are emptying.
The area is one of rolling hills with some valleys and long descents to waterways. The flora is lush and green and apart from dogs and cows I saw almost no other animals. I gave an interview in Falmouth, KY when the local newspaperman saw me sitting on my lovely bike.
Back to the dogs. They helped me begin to become a sprinter! More than that to have a strategic plan especially on the hills, where I was at a distinct disadvantage. Only one dog got close enough to worry me, most others gave up at their property line or responded to a firm "NO!!!!".
Tomorrow I'll move into Indiana and pick up a new river way to follow.

No comments: