Friday, May 20, 2005

Riding Mt. Soledad

A few months ago when I began this blog I included a picture of Mt. Soledad with a caption noting the challenge it represented for me. Yesterday I rode right on up it as my last ride on the 2005 welded Linear I have been using for my trip.

With it all unloaded it was an easy climb up to the top in a mid gear and the payoff at the top was wonderful, a great view for about 270 degrees of the San Diego landscape. Once there I thought remembered I did not have my camera.

Mt. Soledad offers three ways to climb it, so my plan will be to make it a regular part of my riding schedule when I return from Africa. A personal goal for me is not to lose the strength I have built up over these weeks of riding along the coast.

I have already begun plotting for my next trip. The two options are to do the Northern Tier trans American Route in several month long pieces. Or to try some of the Eurovelo routes that are being developed along the lines of Adventure Cycling's.
For example, I think it would be fun to cycle the Atlantic Coast of Norway which would take me near the town where my Mother's family originated.

But there is also a route from Canterbury to Rome (or symbolically we might ride Rome to Canterbury, eh?) and one from the Netherlands to Kiev, which I think might be great fun. Of course none of these have any topographical to descriptive route content to them yet, but I am hopeful.

Tomorrow I will drop the Linear off with its next holder, the Publisher of a Tandem and Recumbent magazine. I emailed him an article this morning so we will see how he likes it. Monday I will ride again up Mt Soledad on my trusty 10 year old Linear. It will be interesting to see how I find it after seven weeks now on a new bike.

No comments: