Sunday, May 15, 2005

Fellowship of the Wheel Comes Full Circle

Yesterday, Dave and I finished our coastal ride with about six folks from All Souls and around the Diocese. We took off from All Soul's at about 9 a.m. and had a leisurely ride around the east side of the harbor to Imperial Beach, finishing at the end of Palm Street where it runs into the ocean.


Fr. Mike tells stories from the ride to the Brotherhood at All Souls`


Dave arrives for the final stage.


Dave, Mike, and special guest rider Teri Mathes touch down at Imperial Beach.

It was a perfect San Diego day for the ride, sunny cloud free sky and only light winds. For once the winds favored us, they were from the WSW as we left Imperial Beach and rode up the strand to Coronado, pushing us along with a nice trailing breeze. In Coronado we stopped at the Hotel Del for some well earned ice cream. I had the first root beer float I've had in years. Of course since I will not be riding 50-90 miles a day I can no longer eat "anything I please." We zoomed around to the ferry and came across the harbor for the final bit of riding back home.

I got home with just enough time to fire up the grill, shower, set out drinks and then welcome people to the party. We had a great turnout of folks from the parish and they mostly ate and drank everything in sight. This is for me the sign of a good party. We opened champagne and Dave and I toasted the end of a successful adventure.


The Linear arrives home, anxious for its next adventure.

In the end we went about 1660 miles averaging about 50 a day. Even after a week home, I am still waking up thinking about packing the bags and getting on to the next town. I find myself looking for the signs of the road that became so familiar, the sweeping descents to beaches, the headlands rising ahead of us at the end of the beach, the game of wondering how the road would cut up and through the headland, since it had to be climbed. None of those signs are there inside, so I find my eyes darting around looking. After a couple of days' rest, I am ready for the next ride. Who can say what will be the next chapter of Speed of Bike. But do stay tuned in, because reflections and local riding adventures will continue to be chronicled.

No comments: