Monday, April 05, 2010

T minus 43 hours

So the rule of all things is that when you go to do a little job it becomes bigger. In the first few days of our ride we will go up to 4,100 feet and then scream down the east side of the mountains on the 8. So I decided to install new brake pads a simple enough chore. In the process I discovered my rear brake was itself bad... a piece fell out that should not do that. So I bought and installed a new brake. When I went to reattach the cable that makes it stop, it was bunged. So first thing this morning the bike is at the bike shop getting new cables for the trip.

So I am now lining up the electronics and charging everything. Washed out my panniers and they are drying. Clothes are in a pile and will get packed. So everything is on schedule except for the trip to the bike store.

Dave and I will get together to look at maps today and then tomorrow I will have lunch with the Hardisons to bring them up to speed.

Oh, and I was working on the brakes when the ground began to move and dance about in the earthquake! What fun. Turns out one of the centers was Jacumba Hot Springs where we plan to spend our second night. Woo Hoo to an auspicious beginning.

No comments: