Monday, January 24, 2005

Monday's Ride

Today was a gorgeous day for cycling in San Diego, much like the 340 other days of the year when it is gorgeous cycling. We have just been through most of the 15 days when it is rainy, making cycling less than gorgeous.

Since I am getting ready for a long trip: Vancouver, BC to San Diego, CA I am riding with my bike loaded down with panniers and sleeping gear as you can see in one of the pictures below. I am not sure how much weight I have added, but the bags have rain gear and lots of bottles of water in them. I figure that whatever I actually end up carrying it will weigh less than water.

The route from BC to SD is not all that hilly, but it is still good to practice. There are lots of hills in SD, it being, after all a series of mesas plopped one upon another. And from my home the first mile is basically all uphill. But I want to ride up Mt. Soledad, which is north of Pacific Beach and is a hefty hill. So I am working on it in bits. It is pictured in one of the pics below --- at least I think that is Soledad.

Today I made it about half way up before I had to head back to get to a later afternoon appointment. I did fairly well and had I more time I would have made it. The overall ride today was 28.4 miles. Not as long as I wanted to go, but as long as I had time for given that I was climbing hills.

No comments: